November 2, 2008

The "No Name" Finger

Random, yet interesting fact.

So in English, we have names for each of our appendages. We have the all important Thumb, the Pinky, Index Finger, Middle Finger, and then that odd fourth finger which we call the Ring Finger because for some reason that has become the one designated to display our symbols of eternal matrimony.

In China:
Thumb = 大指 (dazhi-- literally "big finger")
Pinky = 小指 (xiaozhi-- "small finger")
Index Finger = 食指 (shizhi-- "food finger")
Middle Finger = 中指 (zhongzhi-- "middle finger")

Pretty standard.. except for the Ring Finger, which in Chinese is 无名指, the "No-Name Finger".

I thought that was interesting, maybe it's just me. I don't know much about traditional Chinese culture, but maybe the wedding ring (specifically on the "No-Name Finger), is part of it?

Anyways, I recently started having circulation problems, at least I hope that's all it is because otherwise I could be experiencing the early stages of carpel tunnel. In any case, I have recently removed the Tiffany's ring that I've been wearing since the 8th grade off my No-Name Finger. I think it's helping.

No comments: